Waldorf Salad is a classic dish named after the prestigious Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York. There are times I have so much in my plate and last thing I want is to cook. I am sure it happens with anyone. In my case cook and then sit down to talk about the recipe with excitement. Yes I do struggle even after dinner to come up with something to make, but my promise to myself keeps me going. And at times this is exactly why I need, to cook, make something that lifts my spirit at the end of a long day. I never thought cooking would do this for me. This has been literally a 10 minutes cook off. I was a little doubtful about the celery, it has a strong flavor and I didn’t have the big juicy ones, but it turned out great. If you have the taste for celery, it’s a snapping finger kind of a salad or in other words mu kinda cooking.
- Apple: 1 red, cored and cut into cubes
- Juice: of 1/4 of a lemon
- Celery sticks: 1, thickly sliced crossways (wished I had better celery, but nevertheless)
- Mayonnaise: 1 tsp
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Walnuts/ pistachio: 10 g roughly chopped. The recipe was with walnuts but I had none, therefore, I used pistachio
- Parsley or chives to garnish
In a mixing bowl put the apples and squeeze the lemon juice on top and mix. Coat the apple well. This prevents apple from discoloring. Add the celery, mayonnaise and season well. Mix well and cover and chill for 20 minutes and serve cold garnished with the nuts and chives or parsley.